Monday, April 06, 2020

Kansas New Driver’s License and Identification Card

Frequently Asked Questions


Central Issue Driver License Systems

Why did Kansas elect to upgrade its system, and why is it “Central Issue”?
Kansas elected to go to a “Central Issue” system (where the document is returned to the applicant by mail) for several reasons.

  • Central issue card production is less costly than producing documents over the counter.
  • More document security features are available for centrally produced documents.
  • State law requires verification of all facts relating to the applicant’s application, including verifying their name, address and social security number.  The same laws require the Division to issue a temporary document while these verifications are being done. (K.S.A. 8-240, K.S.A. 8-1324).

The new system allows for production of a more secure card, helping to prevent fraud.  The new system allows for the production of the vertical card, making it easier for retailers and others to identify minors.  Additional benefits include:  a durable, longer lasting card; improved technology to prevent counterfeiting, alterations, and identity theft.

When will the first new documents be issued?
The first new documents will appear in May of 2004.  The first offices using the new system will be Topeka, Emporia and Holton.  By the end of June all offices in Kansas (DL offices and counties) will be issuing the new cards.

How long will my old license be valid?
Previously issued Kansas driver’s licenses and identification cards will remain valid until their expiration date.  However, Kansas residents may obtain a new document by requesting a replacement and paying the associated fee.

How can I tell if I am looking at a license or identification card held by a minor?
The minor license or identification cards will be printed in a vertical format.  Depending upon the age at the time the card was issued, it will contain statements indicating the date at which the bearer turns 18 and turns 21.  These statements appear under the photo:  “Not 21 until xx/xx/xxxx” in a red bar or “Not 18 until xx/xx/xxxx” in a green bar.

What is the organ donor symbol and where does it appear?
The organ donor symbol, which is made up of the words “organ donor” and a red heart appears on the front of the card.

What information is being stored in the bar codes and the magnetic stripe on the back of the license?
It is the same information as is shown on the front of the license.  The information contained in the barcodes and magnetic stripe on the back of the license includes the license number, date of birth, name, address, issue date, expiration date, class, endorsement and restriction information.  The barcode does NOT contain the photo or signature.

Who benefits from the new license?
In addition to the cardholder, those that benefit from the new license include the DMV, county treasurers, law enforcement officials and retailers of age sensitive products.

What does Kansas get with the new system?
The new system provides new equipment and software for all examining and issuance locations. This upgrade will allow for better customer service and reduced waiting times at the field locations.

Did Kansas purchase this system?
No. Kansas has contracted with Digimarc ID Systems on a “per card produced” transaction fee that provides for the hardware, software, materials and maintenance of the system.  We pay for the system as we use the system.

Will there be two license types produced for a certain period of time?
Yes.  All current cards that are issued will remain valid until their expiration date.  As a result, two card types will exist for approximately six years.

Can I obtain a duplicate copy of my temporary receipt if it is lost, stolen or destroyed?
No. There is no provision for duplicating a temporary receipt.  Do not lose it, wash it, leave it laying in the sun, or laminate it.  Thermal paper turns black when heated, and the information on it will no longer be legible.

Does having epilepsy mean that I can’t drive?
If a person has a condition that causes recurrent alteration or loss of consciousness (such that driving would be impaired), Kansas law mandates that the person be episode free for six months before driving.  While some (not all) forms of epilepsy make up the bulk of these instances, certain persons with sleep apnea, narcolepsy, diabetic reactions, and heart difficulties will find themselves under these restrictions.  A form must be turned in to the Department of Motor Vehicles before resuming driving.  This common sense law is for the safety of all.

How do I add Motorcycle to my driver’s license?
Provide acceptable proof of identity.  Pass a vision test, motorcycle written test, and a skill test on a cycle, or complete an approved motorcycle Driver’s Ed course.  For a list of approved schools you may contact the Dept. of Education at (785) 296-8107 or by email

How do I obtain a license to operate a Motorized bicycle (Moped)?
Provide acceptable proof of identity.  Pass a vision test and written test.

What is considered a Motorized Bicycle (Moped)?
Every device having two tandem wheels or three wheels, which may be propelled by either human power or helper motor, or by both, and which has – a motor which produces not more than 3.5 brake horsepower; a cylinder capacity of not more than 130 cubic centimeters; an automatic transmission; and the capability of a maximum design speed of no more than 30 miles per hour.

Do I have to complete an approved Driver Education course to get an age-restricted license?
Yes.  There are no exceptions.

Does Kansas recognize on-line Driver Education courses?
There are many on-line Driver Education courses being offered over the Internet.  Internet courses do not meet requirements for a Driver’s License in Kansas.  The only programs that are approved by the State of Kansas for Driver Education purposes are programs offered through a local, accredited school district which have been approved by the Department of Education.  Please note that a certificate of completion from an Internet Driver Education course will not be accepted for licensure.  If unsure whether or not a program has been approved by the Department of Education you may contact the Department of Education at (785) 296-8107 or the Kansas Division of Vehicles at (785) 296-3963 or by email at: .

My license is expiring and I am out of state, but I am not active military or military dependent.  Is there anything I can do by mail?
You can obtain a six month extension.  Use form DEMI-1.

I’m out of state and my Kansas license has been lost or stolen.  What can I do to replace it by mail?
You can obtain a duplicate by mail.  Use form DEMI-1.

I’m out of state and have changed my name.  How do I obtain a corrected Kansas license?
You can obtain a license with a corrected name by mail.  You must send us a photocopy of the legal document changing your name.  Use form DEMI-1.

I have a valid license from another state, and will be moving to Kansas soon.  What do I have to do to obtain a Kansas driver’s license?
Take the license into a full service driver’s license office and pass our vision test.

I just moved to Kansas from another state.  How long do I have to trade my out of state license for a Kansas driver’s license?
You have 60 days after establishing residency.

What do I do if my wallet is stolen?
File a police report immediately.  This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward the initiation of an investigation.  Obtain a case number.

  • Immediately call all of your creditors.  Request replacement credit cards with new account numbers. Ask that your old accounts be flagged with a “fraud alert” notice.
  • Call the three national credit reporting organizations’ fraud hotlines immediately, to place a “fraud alert” on your name and Social Security number.  The alert initiates measures to prevent any further fraudulent activity.  Any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and the company is instructed to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.  Records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves’ purchases are documented.  Your name is removed from further offers of credit.

National Credit Reporting Organizations’ Fraud Hot Lines:

   Equifax:  1-800-525-6285

   Experian (formerly TRW):  1-888-397-3742

   Trans Union:  1-800-680-7289

   Social Security Administration:  1-800-269-0271

  • Victims of Identity Theft should also contact the Federal Trade Commission:
    Toll free number:  (877) FTC-HELP (877) 382-4357
    TDD (202) 326-2502
  • Notify your bank(s) of the theft.  Cancel your old accounts and obtain new bank accounts.  If you use an ATM card for banking services, request a new card and password/pin number.  Memorize your password/pin number and do not record this information on any property contained in your wallet.
  • If you have had checks stolen or bank accounts set up fraudulently, report it to TeleCheck, National Processing Companies, and Equifax.
    TeleCheck:  1-800-571-2143
    Equifax:  1-800-437-5120
    National Processing Co.:  1-800-526-5380
    National Check Fraud Center:  1-843-571-2143
    Chexsystems:  1-800-710-9898
    CheckRite:  1-800-766-2748
  • Notify your local Postal Inspector (816) 502-0400, if you suspect mail theft and request a Mail Theft/Vandalism Complaint Form, PS 2016.  For additional information, check the US Postal Inspection Service website:
  • Go to the nearest Driver’s License Examination Station to report a stolen driver’s license and to obtain a duplicate license.
  • Keep a record of all the steps you take.  Always ask for the name of the person you are talking to at any law enforcement agency, credit reporting company, or driver’s license office.

What happens when the driver can’t hear?
The Kansas Legislature authorized the Kansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (KCDHH) to provide Safety Communication Visors for vehicles regularly driven by persons who are deaf or hard of hearing.  The purpose of the visor is to help law enforcement officers or emergency response personnel to quickly identify drivers who are deaf or hard of hearing and may have special communication needs.  There is a fee of $5 per visor.

To obtain a visor application or more information on the Safety Communication Visor Program, contact KCDHH at (800) 432-0698 Voice/TTY or (785) 267-6100 Voice/TTY.  Website:

Commercial Driver’s License “S” Endorsement

I already have the “P” endorsement on my CDL so that I can drive school buses.  Why do I now have to obtain an “S” endorsement?
To comply with Federal Law, a Kansas law was passed which created the “S” endorsement for School Bus drivers.

What kind of tests will I have to pass to obtain the “S” endorsement?
Assuming you already have the “P” endorsement, you will have to pass an “S” endorsement knowledge test and a road test in a school bus representative of the type of school bus you will be driving.  If you don’t already have the “P” endorsement, you will have to pass the “P” endorsement knowledge test also.

Is there a “grandfathering” period?
If you meet some very strict criteria, you can “grandfather” into the “S” endorsement up until September 30, 2005.  “Grandfathering” only eliminates the road test.  All other knowledge exams will still be required.

In order to grandfather, there are a number of criteria that must be met by Federal Law.  To “grandfather”, the applicant must meet all of the following:

(1) Applicant must have held a valid commercial driver’s license with a passenger vehicle endorsement to operate a school bus that is representative of the group the applicant will be driving;

(2) Applicant has not had his/her driver’s license or commercial driver’s license suspended, revoked or canceled, nor has he/she been disqualified from operating a commercial motor vehicle;

(3) Applicant has not been convicted of any of the disqualifying offenses in subsection (a) or (e) of K.S.A. 8-2,142, and amendments thereto;

(4) Applicant has not had more than one conviction of any of the serious traffic violations defined in K.S.A. 8-2, 128, and amendments thereto, while operating any type motor vehicle;

(5) Applicant has not had any conviction for a violation of state or local law relating to motor vehicle traffic control (other than a parking violation), arising in connection with any traffic accident;

(6) Applicant has not been convicted of any motor vehicle traffic violation that resulted in an accident; and

(7) Applicant has been regularly employed as a school bus driver, has operated a school bus representative of the group the applicant seeks to drive, and provides evidence of such employment.

Is there a study book for the “S” endorsement knowledge test?
Go to  to access the “S” endorsement study manual.

If I only drive City buses or transport buses not affiliated with a school, do I have to obtain the “S” endorsement?
No.  You only need the “S” endorsement to operate school buses, or buses contracted by a school district to transport school children.

Collection of Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

I’m not a CDL driver, so why do I have to give you my Social Security number?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that the social security number must be collected from everyone that applies for a driver’s license or ID card.  This law is effective July 1, 2003.

Do I have to use it as my license number?
No. You can’t use it as your license number as of July 1, 2004, but we do have to collect it and have it on our records.  During the 2004 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill saying we could no longer use the SSN as a driver’s license number.

Will you be verifying the number I give you?
Yes. Based on legislation passed by the 2003 Kansas Legislature, we will be verifying all SSN’s with the Social Security Department before a driver’s license or ID card will be issued.

Do I have to give you my number every time I come in?
Once it has been verified with the Social Security Administration, we will no longer ask you for it.

Selective Service Registration

I’m a 21 year old male.  Why do I have to consent to you sending my information to the Selective Service System?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that we send the Selective Service System information on all male applicants that are at least 16 years of age, but less than 26, applying for a driver’s license or ID card.  This law is effective July 1, 2003.

I’m only 16.  I’m not required to register with the selective service system until my 18th birthday.  Why are you sending my information to them?
We are required to do so by law; however the Selective Service System will not do anything with the information until you turn 18.

I already registered with the Selective Service System, or am currently in the military, what will be done with my information?
It will be sent to the Selective Service System and appropriate registration action will be taken, or no action if you are already registered.

Holding Both a Driver’s License and an ID Card No Longer Allowed

I have a valid ID card.  When I went in to renew my driver’s license I was told I had to surrender my ID card.  Why?
During the 2003 Legislative Session, Kansas lawmakers passed a bill, requiring that an individual could hold either a valid Kansas driver’s license or a valid Kansas ID card, but not both.  This law is effective July 1, 2003.

I need information on seatbelt law and/or child safety restraints.
Answers can be found at:

We live in another state and will be traveling through Kansas by car.  Can my child drive with his or her restricted license or learners permit?
Answers can be found at:

Hazardous Materials Fingerprinting

I have a HME, but I don’t use it.  Do I have to be fingerprinted?
If you wish, you can drop the endorsement when you renew your CDL license.  If you want to keep this endorsement, you must be fingerprinted and have TSA approval before renewal.

How much will the threat assessment cost?  Who pays for it?
The threat assessment will cost $95.00 in Kansas.  The driver is responsible for the cost and the threat assessment fee is nonrefundable.

Where do I have to go to be fingerprinted?
Eight CDL offices throughout Kansas are equipped to meet the requirements.  Those offices are Chanute, Colby, Garden City, Hays, Mission, Salina, Topeka and Wichita.

What if I’m on the road when I have to be fingerprinted?
Kansas drivers can only be fingerprinted in Kansas.  Kansas will not accept fingerprinting done in another state or by the TSA agent.  You will be notified 60 days in advance of your renewal at the address you have on your driver license record.

Can I go to my local law enforcement office to be fingerprinted?
No.  Your fingerprints must be collected in one of the driver license stations listed above.

Do I still have to take the HME knowledge test before I renew my CDL?
Yes. You are still required to pass the HME knowledge test before renewing your CDL with HME; however, you will not be tested until an acceptable response is received regarding the threat assessment.

What happens if I’m not fingerprinted at least 30 days before my CDL expires?
Kansas can renew your CDL, but cannot issue you the HME until TSA gives approval.  That means that you will not be able to transport Haz/Mat loads until the license is issued with a Haz/Mat endorsement after the TSA has given approval.

I am an out-of-state driver in a border state of Kansas.  Can I have my fingerprints captured in Kansas and my information transferred to my home state?
No. You must be a Kansas CDL holder to be fingerprinted in Kansas.

Can I prepare my threat assessment application in advance and take it with me to the examination station to be fingerprinted?
You may download the threat assessment application at  and fill it out before you arrive.  The DMV will need 2 copies.  Be sure you write legibly.  If your information is not correctly filled out or cannot be read by the TSA you will be required to be fingerprinted again, and an additional threat assessment fee of $95.00 will be collected.  You can see a list of disqualifying offenses at

Kansas Department of Revenue Frequently Asked Questions Site:

Revised 04-23-2010